Home > Travel FAQs

Travel FAQs

How soon after making our booking will we receive confirmation?
Once we have received your deposit we will send your confirmation documents the same day. If you have requested a private/customized tour this can take up to 48 hours to recieve confirmation.
When is the peak season, shoulder season and low season in China?
According to our past experience, the peak season refers to April to June and September to November, the cozy weather of which ensures a pleasant trip. The flipside is that relevant tourist resources like hotels and flights are in greater demand than in the low season. It's advised make your bookings at an early stage.
The shoulder season starts in June to August, and November while the low season takes place in December and ends in the beginning of March.
Tibet finds its peak season from July to October.
What documents are needed for visiting China?
1) All foreigners to China must have a valid passport and a China visa. Note that the passport should be valid for a minimum of 6 months after your visit to China and the visa should be approved before you enter China. The most common type of visa is single-entry visa which is usually valid for 3 months and allows a maximum stay of 30 days.
2) Visit Tibet: to enter Tibet, foreigners must hold a Tibet travel permit which shall be obtained 15 days before entering Tibet. A Tibet permit is sufficient if you only stay in Lhasa, however, if you want to extend to the "unopened" areas, an Alien's travel permit issued by the PSB of Tibet is required. In addition to a travel permit, a fitness certificate from a registered doctor is also required to show that you're fit to travel and your blood pressure and heart condition are normal to acclimatize the high altitude of Tibet.
3) Visit Hong Kong: People from most countries are exempted from applying a China visa if only travel and stay in Hong Kong.
4) Just in case of need, we suggest you bring your medical record attached with your doctor's name, address and phone number, emergency contact name and phone number, and your insurance company's name, address and phone number.
What type of visa do I need?
For most travelers to China, a single-entry visa will be enough. This kind of visa usually has 3 months of validity from the date of issue. You can stay in China for less than 30 days.
If I want you to send me an invitation letter, what kind of information do you need from me?
We need following information:
1) The date of your entering China;
2) How many days you plan to stay in China;
3) Cities that you plan to visit;
4) Name (must be the same as those on your passport);
5) Gender;
6) Date of birth;
7) Passport Number;
8) Passport expiration date;
9) Occupation;
10) Telephone - fax number and your email address;
11) Your address.
Do I need to buy a travel insurance before I go to China?
Though CAT endeavors to make your tour in China delightful and worry-free, we highly recommend that all travelers should purchase comprehensive travel insurance from reliable insurance providers on their own before leaving home for the tour.
Will our Credit Cards accepted in China?
Most major credit cards are accepted in hotels and shopping malls in China. Being that many small shops and restaurants may not accept credit cards, it's strongly advised to have sufficient Chinese currency with you. If you are using only credit card, inform your bank beforehand to lift cash withdrawal limits.
Are there any ATM services in China?
Most banks in China have ATMs, just check if the logo or symbol of your credit card is show on the ATM when using it. The main offices of the Bank of China in most cities especially in major tourist cities usually have ATMs friendly to foreigners. But please kindly note, in some remote areas, it is not easy to find ATM, so if your itinerary covers some remote areas, like some village, you should withdraw money ahead of time, not too much, 200 yuan will be enough.
Are foreign currencies like US dollars acceptable in China?
Major international currencies like US dollars, euro and pounds are readily accepted in hotels or when buying things from vendors outside scenic spots, and tipping the hotel porters, drivers and guides. While businesses like epartment stores, small convenience stores, local restaurants and street vendors only accept RMB (Chinese yuan).
How can I pay you? What kinds of payment ways do you accept?
For our clients' conveniece, we accept various kinds of payment:
1. All major credit card - both faxed authorization form and by Paypal payment gateway;
2. Wire Transfer (bank transfer, TT transfer);
3. PayPal.
Where to exchange currency in China?
Airports, banks, ATMs and most star-rated hotels are the place where you can get your currency exchanged into Chinese yuan. The exchange rate is regulated as the official rate. Do Not trust any currency exchangers in the street, or you'll risk being fraud with huge lose.
Can I use my mobile phone in China?
You can use your mobile phone in China after it's unlocked by your carrier. Any calls you make will be considered long-distance and the charge can be very high, so it is suggested that you buy a SIM card from the Chinese carriers according to your phone's network mode. There are mainly three carriers in China, China Mobile (TD-SCDMA), China Unicom (WCDMA) and China Telecom (CDMA2000). Usually when you buy a SIM card, your passport is required.
Do the hotel rooms have kettles, irons, and hairdryers?
There is no guarantee that the rooms will have these. Especially in some guest house located in the remote area. We suggest you take them with you.
Do you cater for special dietary requirements whilst on tour?
We can cater for most dietary requirements. Please let us know at the time of booking.
Who will looking after us during the tour?
We use only the best English-speaking guides who have years of experience of guiding in each region. They will not only be there to ensure that you are healthy, safe and well looked-after – they'll also be more than happy to give you a real insight to the culture and traditions of China!
What will the weather be like?
Weather can be unpredictable, as anywhere else on planet Earth! Generally though, the weather in northern China during June through to September is hot and dry, with temperatures typically around 25-30 degrees Celsius during the day!
I have to speak Chinese to enjoy this trip?
No! All our staffs speak fluent English and you will find that, whilst leaning a bit of Chinese is greatly appreciated, it's not essential.